Whitney Family Tradition
Although officially incorporated in 1893, Rocklin’s recorded history begins 150 years ago when Joel Parker Whitney established Spring Valley Ranch. Over the years, 25 miles of crushed stone roads, 12 granite bridges, stables, barns, and housing for 200 ranch hands and their families were all constructed on this sprawling 30,000 acres, now considered the first developed property in Rocklin.
Spring Valley Ranch and Beyond
After the last Whitney family member died in 1926, the ranch began to deteriorate. The planned communities of Stanford Ranch and Whitney Oaks now occupy much of the former Spring Valley Ranch. As Rocklin evolved, the City saved many of the original granite bridges used to cross creeks on the Spring Valley Ranch, and the City’s Parks & Recreation Commission designed parks to include the bridges.
The City’s original claim to fame came with the mining of granite. In 1910, 22 quarries operated in Rocklin and, in 1912, nearly 2,000 train carloads of granite were sent out of town. Granite for the state capitol and many of the buildings in San Francisco came from Rocklin’s quarries. Today, Rocklin granite is still used commercially for monument signs by a long-time Rocklin family.
For more information, please contact the Rocklin Historical Society and the Rocklin History Museum at (916) 624-3464, or you can visit their website at www.rocklinhistory.org